LinkedIn Pinterest Instagram Tumblr Follow Me On Twitter Contact Archive About Home

Saturday, March 23, 2013

How To Edit

One of the hardest things to do is to part with clothes - but it's something that should be done every once in awhile (for me, every three or six months). Before I used to "edit" my closet constantly, I found I had a surplus of clothes that I haven't worn in years and it was so hard to siphon through my closet to find jeans or a simple top. Editing your closet is important because not only does it give you a chance to organize your clothes, but by really sorting through your drawers, it'll be a lot easier to put outfits together and shop. Not only that, but you get a chance to rid of clothes that no longer fit who you are. For me, it's become really therapeutic. It took me a few tries, but after a few closet edits (and a few tips from Nina Garcia and Lauren Conrad) I've found a technique that works the best, for me. 

All you'll need is:
-A mirror
-Time, patience, and self control
-A physically strong and honest friend who knows your style. (This one helps, a lot)



Now, you're ready to start. It's simple, really. All you have to do is
 Try everything on.
From there, you'll basically be making a couple piles:
  • -If anything has stains that you can't (or are too lazy) to remove, has unintentional tears or holes (that you don't want to get sewn), it belongs in the trash pile.
  • -If you don't really care for something you try on (whether it be it's not your style or it just doesn't fit as well as before) it belongs in the donate/charity/salvation army pile. This could also go to the give-away pile...depending on the condition of the item.
  • -If there's something you try on that doesn't look right on you (it doesn't fit your style, it's the wrong size) and would look great on one of your friends, this belongs in the give-away pile...again, could go in the donation pile, as well.
  • -If you try on something that you haven't worn in at least the year, this belongs in either the donate or give-away pile
  • -BUT, if you try on something you haven't worn in the past year and you're not ready to let go of it, this goes in the "just in case" pile. (Now, this is not an excuse to keep a bunch of clothes that you just don't want to give up.) If, on the next closet edit, you haven't searched this bag for the clothes you put in there, all of the items then go into the give-away or donation pile.
  • -If you try on something that you know for a fact you wear, put it back in the closet. 
Now, I've noticed after an hour of creating these piles I end up in one of the following moods: either I get too excited about getting rid of clothes and end up giving away pieces I wish I didn't, or I end up stuffing majority of my clothes in the "just in case" pile. This is where the "strong and honest friend who knows your style" comes into play. It's always good to have a second opinion from someone you trust knows you. While you may believe an top looks decent on you, after trying on so many clothes, an outside opinion is always better. There are so many clothes that I've tried to keep (knowing I would never wear it or it wasn't flattering) and my friend would have to tear it out of my hands and put it in one of the piles - and boy does that help. One of the biggest factors you need to try and stay clear from is holding onto items for "sentimental" reasons. Unless there is a legitimate reason to keep an item, just because you wore it all through high school or wore it the first time you drove a car doesn't mean you need to keep it. Lastly, keep in mind that with editing a closet means that it could be filled with newer clothes that are well-fit, timeless, and fits your style more. I love shopping after editing my closet because not only does it remind me of what I do and don't have, but I take longer thinking about the purchase making sure it won't end up in one of the piles during the next edit.

Just try it and you'll definitely notice a huge difference in styling, shopping, and overall space in your closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment