LinkedIn Pinterest Instagram Tumblr Follow Me On Twitter Contact Archive About Home

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Shopping Tips: QVC

Over the years, some would say that I've developed a sort of "shopping addiction." One of my biggest problems is that I tend to think I have more money than I actually do and I happen to be one of those "I'd rather buy quality, regardless of price" type of people. This could be potentially detrimental, seeing as though I am also a firm believer in "retail therapy." But even though I have a tendency to "over-shop," I don't actually have a surplus of clothes (if you look in my closet, you'll most likely get lost in the sea of black fabric, to be honest.) The way I see it, when I shop I have three basic principles:
                     -Quality
                     -Versatility
                     -Cost-Per-Wear
Unless it's one of those rare moments I truly see an exception piece or I desperately need the retail therapy, I mainly stick with these three rules - one of the reasons I rarely make purchases at Forever 21 (but that's another post...)


Quality

One of the biggest problems we run into when caught in the midst of fast-fashion, is the lack of a quality-made product. Most of the time, we tend to overlook this simple factor because the piece is "to die for" or because it happens to be a couple dollars cheaper. I used to be a big Papaya and Wet Seal fan because they happened to always have new styles for an inexpensive price. After my purchase and a couple wears later, I'd discover holes, pilling, or it never would fit right after a wash. This, and the frustration of having to handwash majority of these items because it was too delicate to be thrown with the normal load was too irritating to deal with. I constantly found myself buying more than I actually had to because I believed I was getting more for my money. After you shop for awhile, you develop a familiarity with fabric and instantly you are able to tell which clothes are quality-made and which would most likely fall apart after the second wear. Yes quality may cost a little more, but the benefits of owning a quality-made item surpasses the feeling of knowing you saved two or three dollars. The most obvious benefit is that the product will last longer. Clothes aren't meant to fall apart - unless you happen to be wearing one of those track pants we all know we owned in the 90's (you know, the one with the option to be pants, capris, OR shorts - ah, the power of the zipper.) Not only are the seams more detailed and sewn correctly, but the different dyes used (especially in denim) are less likely to bleed onto other surfaces or clothes. Another aspect I find best about quality-made clothing is the fit. I'm 4'10" and can fit into some of my 10-year old sister's clothes, so to me, shopping at stores with poorly made clothes means size "small" depends on the particular small I happen to pick up (aka each "small" shirt is made differently and therefore doesn't fit the same.) One more benefit from paying an extra few bucks for a well-made piece is the material used. Majority of clothing is made from polyester. And while polyester does have its perks (durability, hydrophobic, and shape retention) it does have its drawbacks (breathability, unattractiveness). Basically, it isn't the most ideal material for any hot area and it doesn't allow some pieces to "hang" as nicely as other materials (cotton, wool, silk) could. 


Versatility

Read almost any fashion blog and one of the things they'll stress is the importance of versatility. It's been used so often that it's beginning to lose it's value. So what do I mean by this? Well, versatility in the fashion world is measured by how many different looks can be made from a single item. While I'm shopping and I find a piece I really like, I have to be able to immediately think of at least two outfits for two different occasions I could wear it at. (Of course, there are always those couple statement pieces you just have to buy.) Most One of the best things about investing in good staple pieces is that you could wear the same outfit but have a different vibe just by changing the accessories. To cut this long-winded speech short, never underestimate the power of basics. (Not all basics have to be solid colored, simple clothes like most would think!)


Cost-Per-Wear

And we're down to my favorite principle: Cost-Per-Wear. I'd love to think I discovered this brilliant theory, but I'm pretty sure it's been around for awhile. Some of the people I've explained this theory to claim it's my "excuse to buy expensive products," but I beg to differ. But let me explain what it means, first. The formula is quite simple: you take the cost of the product and divide it by the amount of times you plan on wearing it. For example, I bought my studded Lita Jeffrey Campbell's for $80. Since then, I've worn it well over 10 times. Each of those 10 times, cost me $8 and the way I see it, as long as the wear was worth the $8, it was worth the $80. Then, of course, the more times you wear it, the less it costs each time. Call it an excuse to buy expensive products, I see it as an incentive to wear it more. Not only this, but when you're shopping it takes you out of the moment and forces you to think of the investment you're about to make - because the only thing worse than buying a $40 top and only wearing it once is realizing it went on sale a week later. 




&& that's just a quick overview of the important factors I consider while I'm shopping. Of course, there are always exceptions and other aspects to take into consideration. But I realized that when I stick to these three rules, I save a lot of money and have great, well-thought additions to my closet. Try it out and see how it works for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment