For me, New York is comfortable, not strange.
-Karl Lagerfeld
Ever be so close to where you want to be, but realize the timing isn't right? Since school started, I have been stressed beyond belief trying to figure out what in the world I'm going to do after I walk across that stage in May. (I read somewhere that one of the top myths college students believe is that you need to know exactly what you want to do with your life.) I've been meaning to update my blog with "Jasmine's latest and greatest plan for life" - but honestly, it's changed so drastically in the past few weeks alone that it kind of threw my mind for a whirl. But after much deliberation, thought, and prayer [of course] I've determined a more "realistic" plan for my inevitable break in the fashion industry - but who knows, this most likely will be modified a few times more in the next few months.
Through all the late nights home from work, doing homework while researching schools and internships, by the end of week 3 I was completely drained. (If there was a way to have an IV bag of coffee, I would've already done it.) Even though I had so much on my plate, I knew I could do it - that was driving my determination to see through each commitment I made. It seriously took so many of my close friends and family to give me the same piece of advice, before I even considered it: SLOW DOWN. I'm very impatient - I know where I want to eventually be and I want to be there now. I've always been trying to live life in the fast lane that I'm not taking the time to truly enjoy every experience. I do want to head NY and pursue a Master's in Marketing (concentrating on luxury and retail) - eventually. Though when people say that it usually means 5-7 years down the line, but I'm determined to make it in the "big leagues" even sooner than then. The east coast will always be there - for now, my plan is to save (which is a major struggle, in itself), understand the different facets in the business side of fashion industry (leaning towards PR/brand management - but not 100% sure), and when I'm both a) financially somewhat stable and b) have a better idea of the specific direction I want to head in because of the experience I gain, then I'll start packing my bags.
Long story short, little 8-year-old Jasmine's starry-eyed dreams are going to have to wait just a little bit longer. It's time to "pay my dues" now and start learning the ropes before diving straight into the deep end with no money, no job, no "realistic" plans. To top off my list of metaphors and cliches: the door to the East Coast isn't closed, it's just slightly cracked open; ironically enough, though that opening diminished, so many doors and opportunities opened here.
Stay tuned because I have a feeling my journey is just beginning.
wow. that was really cheesy.



No comments:
Post a Comment